Monday, February 14, 2011

What's Love Got To Do With It?


Everything, actually. As this is Valentines Day, I'm reminded of a conversation that Jamie and I had not too long ago. She was asking me about "friends," and how she could make more of them. Apparently, at school, the subject came up about who among them had more friends. Never one to be outdone, my little red-head set out to be numero uno in the friend department. I saw this as a great opportunity to impart a little biblical wisdom. ;)


I asked her, "Do you know the best way to make a friend? It's to be a friend." She looked at me like I had four heads (it's a look I'm used to getting). I could see the wheels turning. Could it BE that simple? Really? "How do I do that?" she pondered. "Easy," I said. "Smile. Be nice. Play fair. Share your stuff. Be lovable. Treat other people the way you would like them to treat you."


Matthew 7:12 (The Message) says, "Here is a simple, rule of thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them. Add up God's Law and Prophets and this is what you get." Many people dread Valentine's Day because either they don't have a special someone, or the special someone that they do have will not lavish them with the type of gifts that they feel they deserve. As a mom to a special needs kid, I understand all too well this focus on "what's lacking." But the best way I have found to take my mind off of my situation, is to focus on others.


How about you? Do you need a hug? Have you given one today? Do you need to hear that you are appreciated? Have you told your husband just how much he's appreciated? Do you feel like your husband is withholding affection? When is the last time you took the initiative with some romantic, physical contact? "Smile. Be nice. Play fair. Share your stuff. Be lovable. Treat other people the way you would like them to treat you." That's good advice for children AND grown-ups, alike.


And as for the red-head, she was happier than a tornado in a trailer park with all her new "friend-making" wisdom. I can only hope that she puts her competitive nature on the back burner and takes my advice to heart. Pun DEFINITELY intended. Happy Valentine's Day, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment