Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday: Cloth Napkins



Hey y'all! Today I have a special "Earth Day" WFMW post. I've been doing this for a while as a little experiment and I have been shocked with the results: For the last 6 months or so we have been using cloth napkins as opposed to paper towels...and I'm hooked!

I've always liked the idea of cloth napkins but just figured that it was just too fancy or too much trouble for everyday use. I stand corrected! I received some cloth napkins when I got married and they had NEVER been used. This coupled with the fact that we were going through paper towels like wildfire, I decided "What the heck. Let's be fancy!"

What's so awesome is that they are SO much better than paper towels at the dinner table, especially with the kids: one definitely gets the job done! And there's not even any more washing than usual: just throw them in with your towels. When I'm out shopping, I cruise by the kitchen section and when they're on sale, I pick up a few. I've also read other people's blogs where they have made some out of marked down fabric from the fabric store... even cheaper! I have quite a few now that I've inherited from Chuck's grandmother and I don't even mind that some are stained. I just use those for "everyday" and reminisce about the wonderful meals that she made for us with love.

And last, but certainly not least: a pack of paper towels for us now last FOREVER! Seriously. I bought a pack about a month ago and there are still rolls left. I'm sure that's making Mother Earth a little happier and it's not hurting the pocketbook either. Every little bit saved in this economy makes a difference. Do any of you use cloth napkins? If you haven't in the past, I encourage you to do so today. Don't wait for a special occasion. Today is a gift... that's why we call it "the present!" For more ideas, go to www.wearethatfamily.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment