Monday, September 20, 2010

Dear Ol' Dad... He Ain't What He Used To Be








Every time I attempt to get on my soapbox about something, I think to myself, "Surely I'm not the ONLY person that feels like this." Most of the time I'm not, but something has caught my attention as of late and it's rampant, the "norm," if you will. And I don't like it.




If you know me, you know I'm a HUGE fan of the children's channels. I can guarantee that NOBODY was a bigger fan of "High School Musical" ( 1, 2, OR 3) than moi. "ICarly" is one of my favorite shows (true) and I think "Phineas and Ferb" is pure genius. Compared to what is on "regular t.v." as I call it (That's anything on the major networks and NOT The Disney Channel or Nickelodeon), most of the kid shows are pretty tame. I have had issues in the past with the sassiness of the characters and some of the cheeky language that they use, but last night I was overwhelmed by show after show with parents who are portrayed as mindless goofballs and the children who have NO RESPECT for them.




Sure, we could peck over every petty little thing on T.V. if we wanted to and then we'd have NOTHING to watch. But I think this is very disturbing and I'll tell you why. Where are kids taking their cues from? T.V. Who are kid's trying to emulate? T.V. stars. Who do they want to dress like, look like, act like? It's not you and me. We are LAME compared to Miley, Selena, Miranda, and the rest of the teen and pre-teen idols. EVERY parent figure on these shows are boobs. They are goofy, uncool, and lack intelligence. ESPECIALLY the men. What is this saying to our kids? Sure, we all thought our parents were big ol' nerds, too, back in the day. I get that. But the father figures I remember were from "Leave it to Beaver," "Growing Pains," "Family Ties," and "Diff'rent Strokes." They may have not been the coolest dads in their kids' eyes, but they were treated with respect. Last night on "Good Luck Charlie," the little boy's character said "I wonder what kids with SMART dads do for fun?" after he had tried to pull one over on his father. REALLY?!?! Could you have seen Arnold Jackson saying that about Mr. Drummond? For those of you under the age of 30, um... that's a heck to the NO!




In the end, the dad from "Good Luck Charlie" actually pulled one over on the youngest son which I'm sure was a win for proud moms and dads everywhere. The young boy realized his dad wasn't such a goofball after all and all was well in the world of kid shows. Hopefully that little tidbit will also sink in to the minds of our impressionable youth as much as all the other innuendos they are bombarded with. We can only hope. I plan to talk to Jamie about this more in detail later and perhaps turn the T.V. off and nurture her love for books more than I have in the past. 'Cuz my reaction to having to give up my kids shows would be a pouty "What chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?!" And nobody wants to see me go THERE! LOL! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment