Friday, March 27, 2009

Frugal Fridays: The Yard Sale


This Frugal Friday tip may be a "no-brainer" for some of you. Even so, I think it stands to be repeated because I'm always amazed at how much money I make when I have one: The Yard Sale (or Garage Sale, if you prefer).
Last weekend I dropped the kids off at the in-laws and proceeded begrudgingly to take my cast-offs out to the garage. My neighbor across the street wanted to have one... and we usually try to have at least one a year together to share in the sign making and such... but I just wasn't in the mood. Boy am I glad I did!
Figuring I had already pared down to the basics from my last yard sale, and after making a donation from my garage to a local charity only 2 weeks earlier, my expectations were low. My local die-hard yard sale patrons did not disappoint, however! I made a whopping $302 profit and was only open from 6:30 a.m. until around 11:00 a.m. And the most expensive thing I sold was my husband's old golf clubs for $35 (with his permission of course!:) ). I've used this money to start an "emergency fund" for us to help us get out of the habit of using those evil credit cards. What could be more frugal than that? Maybe this will inspire you to get out those ill-fitting clothes from your closet, those dusty knick-knacks you can't stand anymore, and those kid's toys that seem to multiply on their own while we sleep, and turn them in to some cold hard cash you could use! Stay tuned for more details on how to have a successful yard sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment