Monday, November 8, 2010

Money Matters Monday... Homemade vs Store Bought


Today is Chuck's birthday (Happy birthday, babe! Love you!!) and JR has INSISTED that daddy have a cake (or the equivalent) to sing "Happy Birthday" over and put candles on. My displeasure is twofold: Momma is trying to cut calories and spending some dough on a delicious item from the bakery did not fit into my budget after buying the birthday boy his present (a new camcorder... I know I ROCK!).


I decided that I would make cupcakes with chocolate icing in hopes that I might only eat one instead of, oh, I don't know... SIX (I'm a cream cheese girl, myself) and to also save a little money as well. So it was off to the Pig this morning to pick up a yellow cake mix ($1.25), some chocolate frosting ($1.58) and a dozen eggs ($1.65). So for a whopping $4.84, we've got 24 cupcakes (that I'm hoping he'll take to work tomorrow and share) AND breakfast for the rest of the week. I know I could have saved even more money by going to Wal-Mart, but my sanity has to be worth something, right?!?! Plus, it'll be made with love and that's something that store bought just can't compare to. Of course, love can only take you so far. I only hope they're edible! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment