Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fried Apple Pies

Look at that face! That's my little homemaker in training! Truth be told, she likes the kitchen WAY more than I do. She never wants to miss an opportunity to help me or her dad (mostly her dad...he's the cook in the family!) make something yummy. So when her teacher requested that parents bring in an apple snack to share with the class, I immediately thought about my father-in-laws delicious fried pies (and JR immediately thought she'd help!) It was actually a lot of fun and fairly simple to do. Here's what we did:
Get yourself a can of biscuits from the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Yep, that's right... canned biscuits. What could be simpler than that?! Put a little flour on your counter or cutting board so that your biscuit won't stick.
After both sides of the biscuit has been "floured," take your rolling pin and flatten it out. On a side note, could she BE any cuter?!
Here's a close up. My rolling pin is from Pampered Chef and it ROCKS THE HOUSE!! I like it much better than a traditional one.


Now for the insides: I have done this two different ways . The pic above is of some apples that I peeled and cut up (about 4 I think), sprinkled liberally with brown sugar (mine was dark brown, but it doesn't matter), and splashed with a little orange juice (no, I didn't measure anything which is TOTALLY unlike me...what can I say, I was experimenting.) I then covered the dish and let it bake on 350 degrees until the apples were soft (about 20-30 minutes). After that I used my handy-dandy food chopper (also from Pampered Chef) and turned the apples into mush. A regular food processor would also work or you could just mash them with a fork. The second time I made fired pies, I used homemade apple butter that my father-in-law had made for the filling. MUCH less labor intensive. :) Any type of pie filling in a can would also be yummy, too.
I used a measuring spoon (1TBS) and put the apple filling in the center of the biscuit.



Have a little cup of water handy and dip your fingers in the water and tap them along half of your biscuit. This will help the sides stick together when you fold it over.
Carefully fold the biscuit over, pressing the sides together.
To help the sides stick really well, press around the edges with a fork.
Put some vegetable oil in a frying pan and set the heat on medium. When hot, drop the pie in!
Flip the pie when it starts to get golden brown. That's it! Repeat with the rest of the biscuits in the roll. Easy Peasy. Sorry that there are no "after" photos. I guess we were too busy munchin' to take pics! Make some for yourself with the filling of your choice and let me know how you like 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment