Friday, March 4, 2011

From Flab To Fab Friday... From Couch to 5K




Thought it might be time to check in on the weight loss and keep myself accountable with my exercise routine. Let's just rip the band-aid off, shall we?!? I've GAINED 4 pounds. I know. Cry me a river, you say. Because in total, I've still lost 12 lbs, and that makes me happy... but 16lbs is closer to 20, which is closer to the 40 that I set out to lose in the first place. That's right. Four, zero. Or the equivalent of my youngest child. Talk about putting things into perspective. I was practically carrying Jamie Ruth around with me every day. No wonder I ached top to bottom!







I'm surprised I haven't gained more than 4 lbs, honestly, considering I have eaten my weight in Girl Scout cookies over the last three weeks. My saving grace has been the "From Couch to 5K" podcasts that I downloaded for free (that's right FREE. You know what they say... If it's free, it's for ME! LOL!). Inspired by a friend on Facebook, I decided to take the leap (no pun intended) into running.






First, let me say that I have NEVER been the running type. I really don't know what got into me, really, other than thinking it would be really cool to run a 5K. This program takes you from your current "couch potato" status, and through the course of nine weeks of building up walking and running intervals, will have you running continuously for 30 minutes, or 5 kilometers.







I "Google" searched "From Couch to 5K podcasts" and was surprised that there are several different ones out there. The one I chose has a British lady named Laura who guides you through the walking/ running routines to some up-beat, contemporary pop music. Laura tells you when it's time to walk (a 5 minute warm-up in week 1), and when to run (30 seconds of running in week 1 followed by 90 seconds of walking to recover and so on). You need to complete at least 3 sessions before moving on to the next week, and always take a day of rest off in between.





I started off gung-ho. I ran EVERY. OTHER. DAY. Without fail. Then life happens, as it tends to do (sick kids, sick husband, etc.), and I began to skip two and three days in between. Then Anna's seizure activity picked up and as of yesterday, it had been almost 2 weeks since my last run. But after NOT exercising, my body started to (dare I say it) crave running. I know it sounds bizarre, but it's the truth. So yesterday I hopped back on the treadmill and completed day three of week three and it felt great. I guess I'm a runner now. Who would have ever thought that would happen?!?







As a person who never ran anywhere before (except to the fridge in the garage for an ice cold diet coke!), I can hardly believe how much I love this program. It's quick (30 minutes... that's all!), and after purchasing my treadmill for a sweet deal from my friend Jennifer, I don't have to worry about the weather messing up my exercise plans. Plus it has been a GREAT stress reliever for me. Sad, mad, or frustrated? I just work it out on the treadmill. And I have energy to spare. I haven't felt this good in years. YEARS, people!








Today is the 4th of March... how are you doing with your weight loss goals for the New Year? If you are struggling, I highly recommend the "From Couch to 5 K" podcasts. If I can do it, anybody can. I can hardly wait to run my first 5K. Wanna join me? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment