Thursday, December 2, 2010

Music Therapy Thursday... CAN


Rick Hoyt and his father are a complete inspiration to me. Rick has cerebral palsy due to his umbilical cord being wrapped around his neck during birth. As a baby, his parents were told that he would never be a functioning member of society and they should just put him in an institution. Of course his parents had other plans...

As a child, the Hoyts brought Rick up as they did their other sons: They gave him a hockey stick to hold while his brothers pushed him around in his wheelchair. They held him in the pool so he could splash and "swim." Because of a computerized communication device, Rick is able to "talk" to his family, though he has never uttered a word. He went on to graduate from high school AND college.

Rick and his father, Dick, have competed in numerous marathons as a team. This began when Rick was young and wanted his Dad to "run" with him in a charity race for a boy who had become disabled. Rick wanted to show this young boy that just because he was disabled, his life could indeed have meaning. Many years, and many races later, Rick and Dick are known as "Team Hoyt" in racing circles and their motto is "You CAN."

This video is a wonderful representation of a father's love for his child. I like to watch it when I feel that I'm at the end of my rope and I'm struggling to be the kind of mother that my handicapped child needs. The words of the song say "I know my redeemer lives" and I know that he does because the love that is displayed between this father and son goes beyond the natural love we have for our children and our family. It's supernatural. When we live our lives by focusing on "us" less and "others" more, we are displaying the kind of love that Christ has for us. I hope this video inspires you the way it inspires me. When you're down and think you can't go on, remember that "you CAN."

"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment